Giving DuPage began its partnership with the Civic Leadership Academy at Northern Illinois University in 2015 to invite DuPage nonprofit organizations to an accredited and nationally-recognized certificate program.
Giving DuPage Nonprofit Members have access to courses at a discounted rate. Courses are centered on professional development, organizational efficiency, and informed leadership.
To date, over 350 nonprofit professionals have taken courses through the NIU Civic Leadership Academy.
Topic: Executive Director 101 – Nuts & Bolts
This workshop will cover all the basics of running a nonprofit organization from planning, to human resources management, to budgeting and financial management, to performance measurement and communications. Whether you have just been promoted internally to the top staff position or you are switching sectors to manage your first nonprofit, this workshop is for you. For practiced professionals this workshop is a great way to refresh and update your skills in compliance with current best practices.
- To understand the roles and responsibilities of the Executive Director in relation to the Board of Directors
- To assess risks for the organization and develop a plan to mitigate those risks
- To understand the necessity for long-term strategic planning for the organization
- To understand the process and purpose of performance measurement
- To use paid and volunteer staff effectively
- To know how best to promote your organization, your events and programs through the latest technology tools